Thursday, November 13, 2008
Schooled Book Club--Discussion Questions for first meeting!
Here's some talking points for tomorrow morning, guys; let's be thinking about responses for the following:
1. Explain the type of life Cap has been leading at Garland. How is his life about to change dramatically? Have you ever daydreamed about being homeschooled? What do you think it would be like?
2. Where does Cap land while his grandmother, Rain, recovers? What do you think would be the most difficult thing to understand about middle school life?
3. How is Cap treated by Sophie, Zach, Hugh, and Naomi? How do people decide whether to be cruel or kind to someone who is new? Do you blame Sophie for her reaction to him? Would you want Cap to be living in your house?
4. Hugh realizes that if it weren’t for Cap he would be low man on the totem pole. “Better him than me.” (p.30) Do you think this is a theme of middle school? Do students put up with bullying a lot because they’re afraid it might be them next?
5. What prank does Zach plan for Cap? Do you think this could happen at your own school? Why do people go along with it? In your opinion who is worse- Zach or Naomi? Why?
6. Cap is full of hippie wisdom like “When you’re unkind to others, it’s usually because you don’t believe that you, yourself, deserve kindness.” (p.46) Do you agree with this statement? What about his other philosophical statements?
7. What is the turning point event for Cap that changes how people perceive him at school? Have you ever known someone who acted heroically?
8. Why does Hugh think, “I was a worm, but at least I had the strength of character to be ashamed of it.” (p. 75) Does Zach realize that he’s being a worm too?
See you at 8:00 sharp-- I promise!