Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Discussion Questions for pp. 134-175
1. Bruno and Shmuel have a conversation that lasts from pp. 138-141 and covers a lot of important territory. Describe something they talk about and what its significance is.
2. "'You'll have to forgive my brother, Lieutenant Kotler,' said Gretel, laying a hand on his arm for a moment, which made Mother stare at her and narrow her eyes."-- What is the significance of this quick description? What's going on with Kotler?
3. On pp. 145-148, Father grills Kotler about his father. Why does he do this?
4. What do you think happened to Pavel?
5. On page 172, Bruno denies his friendship with Shmuel and betrays him. How does he feel afterward? How is it resolved? What do YOU think you would have done in his position?
6. What questions do you have?
All right, Bookies-- discuss here, and we'll talk more tomorrow in Custis' room!