Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Discussion questions for 3rd reading goal (pp. 86-134)
1. How does Bruno's grandmother react to her son's military role?
2. Do you think Shmuel (The boy on the other side of the fence) know more about what's going on here then Bruno?
3. Will they become best friends? Do you think there relationship will get discovered? What will happen to them if it is discovered?
4. Why does Shmuel run away after Bruno suggests he crawl under the fence to join Shmuel and his friends in the camp?
4. A pun (a play on the meaning of words) is most often seen as humorous, but in this novel the narrator uses dark or solemn puns like Out-With and Fury to convey certain meanings. Bruno is simply mispronouncing the real words, but the author is clearly asking the reader to consider a double meaning to these words. The use of this wordplay is a literary device, isn't it? What is the narrator trying to convey to the reader? How do these words further communicate the horror of the situation?
Lots to talk about!