Thursday, March 10, 2011
Reading Goal #1 Discussion Questions
Post your answers to the following questions, and let's talk about this amazing book!
1. What do you learn in chapter 1 about Maycomb, Atticus Finch and his family?
2. What do you think of the way Atticus treats Walter Cunningham? What do you think Scout learns from Walter's visit?
3. Atticus says that you never really understand a person "until you climb into his skin and walk around in it". What does this mean? Is it an easy thing for Scout to learn?
4. When the children plan to send a letter to the person who leaves the gifts, they are prevented. How does this happen? Who does it, and why might he do so?
5. How well does Atticus feel he should defend Tom Robinson? Is it usual for (white) lawyers to do their best for black clients in Alabama at this time?
6. In chapter 10, Atticus tells his children that "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird". What reason does he give for saying this?