Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Book Club Vote--1st Book!
Sorry I missed our first meeting, guys! To make it up to you, tomorrow we will have hot drinks on me at our meeting. :)
Welcome to all the new Bookies-- we are very glad to have you joining us this year!
Looks like a great list you generated of suggested titles. Unfortunately, I had to eliminate some right off the top, either due to appropriateness for middle school (Kenneth, I LOVE Cat's Cradle, but there's just no way!) or due to the fact that I just can't get enough copies of the suggested book (sorry, Kaari! Only 11 copies of Leviathan in the district, and several of them are checked out), but here's the ones that we can definitely discuss and my thoughts on each as a pick:
1. The Hobbit-- I am a big Rings fan from way back, and I certainly wouldn't mind reading this one again. I would suggest, however, that it not be our first pick; it is long and can be a bit... well, long at times. :) This would be a much better second or third pick, I think.
2. The Westing Game-- This is my pick! I haven't read it, I've wanted to read it, I've heard good things about it, it would be a quick first pick to read, and I know I can get copies. :)
3. Hurt Go Happy-- I don't know much about this book, but did any of you read it in 6th grade? I think they have a literature set of this... Let me know.
4. Ender's Shadow-- We could read this, if you guys decide that is what you want to do. Personally, I would like to start off with something new and different, but we shall let majority decide.
5. Two Little Girls in Blue-- I know next to nothing about this book, so I'm going to ask whoever suggested it to tell us why they picked it for us to read as a group! Sounds interesting on Amazon...
6. The Host-- This book was written for adults, but I didn't see anything overwhelmingly inappropriate when I read it, but it is LONG and I didn't know if we would want to start with a super-long book.
7. The Odyssey-- Hmm... Although my initial response was NO, I am now rethinking that. I still say we should ease our way in with something a little lighter, though!
Okay, you guys have my vote. Let's hear yours! Look the books up on Amazon and teenreads.com to get an idea what you're choices are. Use this post to argue your pick for our first book, and use my next post for VOTES ONLY. Sound good?
Woohoo for Book Club!