Thursday, September 24, 2009
Discussion Questions-- to p. 62
Let's discuss the following:
1. What do we think of the book so far? What stands out to you?
2. Does Death as our narrator "work"? What do you think of Death as a character in the story?
3. An ongoing question, but one to begin pondering: What is the significance of colors in the book?
4. The Grave Digger's Handbook is the first book Liesel steals. Why did she take the book (think back to what Death tells us)? How does Hans Hubermann react when he discovers the book?
5. Liesel believes that Hans Hubermann's eyes show kindness, and from the beginning she feels closer to him than to Rosa Hubermann. How does he gain Liesel's love and trust? How was Hans "worth a lot." ? (p. 34)
6. Rosa is described as "her face was decorated with constant fury." (p. 33) What made Rosa so angry?
Now... your thoughts!