Thursday, March 8, 2012
Last discussion questions for this book!
All right, Bookies! We'll begin watching the movie version on Monday, and you will be welcome to attend as long as
a. you've participated on this discussion post, and
b. you have gotten a parent permission slip turned in to me before the movie begins.
Here are some questions for us to discuss:
1. Why did Bruno betray Schmuel? Why was their friendship able to survive this?
2. How would you describe the friendship between Bruno and Schmuel? What makes it a good friendship?
3. When Bruno dresses in the filthy striped pajamas, he remembers something his grandmother once said. "You wear the right outfit and you feel like the person you're pretending to be." (p, 205) How is this true for Bruno? What about his father? What does this statement contribute to the overall meaning of the story?
4. Discuss the moral or message of the novel. What new insights and understandings does John Boyne want the reader to gain from reading this story?
5. Does The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas fill you with despair or hope? Why?
6. Rate this book: 1 stripe (not good) to 5 stripes (excellent, instant classic). Explain why!
6. Questions? Comments?
All right-- let's talk to each other about this!